Oreo Spread

Pin It

I don’t even know what to say about this.  Except…  Except… Except!  Remember that Seinfeld episode in which Kramer hounded Calvin Klein to make a cologne that smells like the beach?

Yeah.  I might have to quit my job to do that, full-time, at Oreo HQ.  They must make this!  I will not be ignored.  I’m already working on flailing myself through doorways.  And this:

…At least in my head.  I don’t smoke.

This is inspired by two things: Belgian cookie spread and America.  Are you with me? Why don’t we have this yet?

All that is required to make this is Oreos, oil of some kind, milk, a food processor, and a patriotic American soul that loves delicious things.  Maybe a splash of vanilla.

By “oil of some kind” I mean that I have tried both coconut oil and the ever-neutral canola.  Coconut oil is delicious, but definitely adds a little coconut flavor, which obviously an honest-to-goodness classic Oreo does not have.  It’s also solid at room temperature, which will leave you with a firmer spread.  I prefer the coconut version.

Somebody send me to the UN already.  Oh, we’re all still friends?  Well then.

That’s it!  That’s it.  Put this on your fruit.  Your morning toast, if you’re feeling saucy.  Spoon it on ice cream.  Be still my heart.  Here’s to feeling good, indeed!

Oreo Spread

3 cups coarsely crushed Oreos
3 tbsp coconut oil (or canola)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2-3/4 cups milk, depending on consistency desired

If using coconut oil, warm it up to a liquid state (I like to microwave the amount I need in short bursts until just melted). Combine crushed cookies, oil and vanilla in a food processor and process until the crumbs are finely ground, then add milk in a slow, steady stream, keeping an eye on the consistency and stopping to check if needed (3/4 cup of milk will leave you with a much thinner product than you may want, so watch closely).  Store in the fridge.

Pin It

Comments

1. says

Within 20 seconds of reading the ingredients, I was already in the kitchen getting the ingredients out. This is incrediiiiiiiible (only thing I changed was that I also used coconut milk) – thank heavens for Oreo’s being accidentally vegan!

Mmmmmm
    – Samantha

• Danguole says

I’m so glad you made this! Also, vegan? Brilliant! I always have almond milk around–bet that would work really well, too.

2. says

Genius. Seriously. Can’t get any more American than this I don’t think haha But really, a fabulous and a very creative idea. Nabisco would be losing out big time if they don’t use your Americanized cookie spread idea. You better make sure you get all the props lady! haha :-D have a fabulous weekend!

• Danguole says

Sarah, if I ever have “issues,” you are my witness. Thanks so much, and have a fabulous weekend too!

3. says

I was literally working on the exact same idea for a blog post on my site! lol… I couldn’t get the consistency right though. I used canola oil, but hated the oily taste/texture it left. I’ll try coconut oil :)

• Danguole says

I hear you. Most of the time I’d rather have homemade cookies of some sort, but sometimes something like Oreos totally hits the spot!

4. says

THIS IS PURE GENIUS! I mean, an Oreo cookie spread? Wow~ I’m also going to assume that this works with other cookies too :]

• Danguole says

I would think so! I mean, I know we have peanut butter, but not Nutter Butter butter… Just saying. ;)

5. says

One question.
    When you say “coarsely chopped Oreos” do you mean the entire cookie, or just the cookie part, minus the cream?

6. says

You are so right- this could be our new spread!! Belgians have Speculoos, now we shall have oreo spread. Actually, I’m quite surprised this hasn’t been put out already by some company or another. Perhaps Americans aren’t yet willing to replace nutella? As a hazelnut allergic girl though, this promises big things! I shall try it as soon as I”m back in the states!

• Danguole says

Nutella is delicious in its own right–I don’t think we need to replace it. All these crazy European spreads have potential to catch on like Nutella did!

7. says

You can get speculoos spread in the US, I’ve seen it at a few places and it’s readily available on Amazon. A couple places in Chicago make shakes and ice cream with it too. What I haven’t seen here is the crunchy variety I became enthralled with while in France last year. Now THAT is amazing. Nice call with the Oreos.

• Danguole says

Yup, love me some Speculoos spread! I think crunchy Biscoff is supposed to be available stateside soon as well!

8. Dixie says

With Oreo’s 100th birthday this year they’d be so proud. My husband will kill me when I make this lol.

• Danguole says

Haha, I doubt that! I do wish I’d made this in time for Oreos’ actual birthday, but I suppose we can celebrate all year!

9. says

i’m so obsessed with biscoff spread.. but seriously, if i make this, i think i’ll die of a sugar overdose from eating it ALL. this is pure genius!! i’m so glad i saw this!!

10. says

Oh. my. goodness. I don’t allow myself to buy oreos (somehow they all disappear in a day) but I think I would do it for this. It looks divine!!!

11. Erica says

I am wondering (while I salivate) if you could use grapeseed oil instead? To me, it has almost no taste and is very light. What do you think? My husband has “demanded” that I make this (trying to convince me that he won’t eat it in one sitting) so I figured I would ask before I am rushed to the store…^_^

• Danguole says

Ack, sorry I didn’t get back to you in time! Great idea to use grapeseed by the way.

• Erica says

Haha…don’t worry about it. I kept this page up for 2 days before I even asked the question. Next time I think I will use soy milk so that I don’t have to keep it cold. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Christmas look-out! Guess who’s getting Oreo spread as gifts…

12. Janet says

I am confused. Nobody has posted what you would put it on. Any suggestions? I like to make oatmeal biscoff cookies they are awesome but I don’t like the spread on toast. I am wondering if this would be the same? I like oreos but will I find the right thing to put a spread on? Help me ladies because this does intrigue me.

• Danguole says

I did make some suggestions in the post: on fruit, over ice cream, in crepes, if you’re not into putting it on toast. Have fun!

• Danguole says

Thanks Kendra! And, oh boy… This was a while ago, but based on some googling, I think about 30-40. Probably closer to 40.

13. Kendra says

Haha, guess I could’ve googled it myself, sorry! Thought you might have known :) Looking forward to trying this out!

Trackbacks